Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The dreaded first hit

That's right. Prof. T hammered me today in a surprise last minute question series on Asahi Metal Industry Co. v. Superior Court toward the end of class. (I thought I'd record the moment for posterity.) Was my response a shining example of student preparedness and clear thought? Not necessarily. And I made it worse by stumbling a bit at the beginning but I quickly found my stance, however wrong it may have been, and gave answers that seemed to satisfy so I'm calling it a clear success. When a few students chuckled during our exchange, Prof. T was quick to point out I was "right". Sweet.

My thoughts on the Socratic method so far...it's not nearly as bad as outlined in One L by Scott Turow (written in the 70s about his first year at Harvard Law). I expect to be called on in Torts later this week. Prof. R is going down the student roster alphabetically and he's getting dangerously close to my name. (Yes, I have been keeping track.) But now that I have gone through it once, it seems less scary. Well, still scary but less unknown.

2 comments:

B. E. Busby said...

While you do what you're doing, on the eve of a Bigge Trippe involving the MegaHound, I'm reading Markman motions out of Tyler Texas, one of the Judicial Hell-holes that our system perpetuates.

Christie said...

I'm in a minimum contacts Hell-hole right now.

Why are you reading that?